IRISH FASHAHOLIC

Fashion & Lifestyle Blog

08/01/2014

Insider Interview: Aidan Sheehan, Fashion Designer

For my first Insider Interview of 2014, I met up with East London based Irish designer Aidan Sheehan to chat about his rise to fashion success and his new line.

Name: Aidan Sheehan (it's also the name of my Label)
Your background in Fashion Design,Study & Experience: 2011 - Participant in Cork Fashion Week 2011
2010 - After an internship with River Island's design department several of my scarf designs were put into production and were available to buy in River Island stores internationally
2009- Studied Post Grad Certificate in Innovative Pattern Cutting at Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design, London
2008 - Studied Certificate in Pattern making - Experimental & Explorative Approaches at Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design, London
Graduated from Fashion Design 2 year course from Cork College of Commerce (this course is now run by St. John's Central College, Cork)
Participant in Cycle Chic Fashion Show, Cork
Creator of Cork Rose's gown for international Rose of Tralee Festival
Winner of national Irish competition, 'Gillette Dress of Your Dreams'
2006 - Graduated with Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Fine Art from Crawford College of Art & Design, Cork
Where are you based?: Leytonstone, East London.
What inspired you to start Designing? 
After graduating from Art College I didn't really know what I wanted to do. At the time I was working in retail and knew I liked clothes, and I had heard about the Fashion Design course in Cork College of Commerce, so I thought I'd combine my love of art with my love for fashion together. Once I started I course I was fascinated by all the different aspects of fashion design, and the different processes that you had to go through to come out with a finished garment.
What are you working on at the moment? 
I'm working on a collection of limited T-shirts. Based on simple Art Deco lines these T-shirts will comprise of black, white and greys. There will only be 5 of each T-shirt, each one hand made. I'm also looking into selling garments on-line and hopefully at the famous Brick Lane market.
What has the biggest challenge as a Designer been for you? 
My biggest challenge has been taking the plunge..... I moved to London with these hopes and dreams of being a Fashion designer, but this April it'll be 5 years since I moved. Life has a way of getting in the way, and you become secure with a regular job. But as my mother likes to remind me, I'm not getting any younger. Hence why I've taken a year career break out from my job (I work in Topshop as a Creative Assistant) to pursue the career I actually want. Better late than never I suppose. Who is your biggest inspiration?
Not so much a who, but a where... London inspires me all the time. There's just so much to see and do. If I'm ever bored there's always a gallery I can just go to get new inspiration, or a stroll around east London to look at the graffiti.
Even the city itself. When I first moved here I found the overall grey feeling of the buildings and the city to be a bit depressing. But now I love the uniformed colour and clean lines of many of the Art Deco buildings around the city. And it is from these buildings that I draw inspiration from for my latest garments. 
Where would you like to be in 5 years?
Established! I would like Aidan Sheehan as a brand to be established. For me to be able to make a living from it.
Where can we follow you? People can follow me on facebook, just search for Aidan Sheehan Fashion Designer. You can also visit my site:www.aidansheehan.com This contains a lot of older images, but will be getting a facelift in the next month or so.
Pictured here are a few images of Aidan's latest work. They include black & white jersey T-shirts (some of which are 1 offs) as well as hand-knitted oversized scarves. With some older garment images at the end. Drop by Aidan's pages online and show this talented designer your support. I wish him all the best growing his career and fashion future in London xo






2 comments:

  1. Best irish fashion designer in ireland are busy for lattest designs for ladies.
    http://www.newvibe.ie/category/Women-Skirts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hamstech is a fashion design powerhouse and have turned out tons of marquee name talent particularly in the last two decades. Most of the faculty members work in the areas in which they teach. What’s more, the fashion design school has partnered with many retailers and corporations with the aim of getting student work seen and critiqued. In addition to fashion design, Hamstech offers style and visual merchandising courses, Interior design courses and jewellery design courses. One of the most respected design schools in India. new fashion

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...