IRISH FASHAHOLIC

Fashion & Lifestyle Blog

26/04/2014

Shopping Vintage


                 Wishing I could squeeze my baby bump into this pretty vintage summer dress!

On a trip to New York four years ago, I ventured into some vintage boutiques in Soho and Greenwich Village. It was like opening a treasure chest of magnificently made garments from the 40's to the 80s, garments that are copied today but not as well crafted. The average price tag for a dress was over $500 so it wasn't within my budget to invest in one of these timeless, historic garments at the time. I looked up similar boutiques closer to home and saw stunning garments from William Vintage in London, who dresses many A-listers such as Helen Mirren and Kate Winslet for British red carpet and Hollywood events.

Not long after I came back to Ireland, I heard about the opening of a vintage store in Cork, which was soon followed by the opening of another two great vintage stores. Excited to see what local vintage had to offer, I visited the Miss Daisy Blue store, expecting it to be a beautiful window shopping experience....but one out of my budget league.Since the store opened, I have gathered some amazing garments and created a little vintage wardrobe of my own, that didn't break the bank, thanks to the unrivaled buying skills of the store's owner Breda.

I called in there today with my 7 month baby bump and came home with an original maternity dress from the 60s in lime green as well as a 70's floor length maxi dress - photos later. Dresses are priced from approx €60 upwards and the store has casual wear right up to really special occassionwear upstairs from decades past. Breda has even had a top Hollywood actress visit the store during a stay in Ireland, under the radar from media as she knew that stores like this are a rare find for fashion lovers and word has spread about Breda's boutique in fashion circles beyond the Emerald Isle!

As someone who appreciates the history of fashion, I am fortunate to have a boutique of this calibre and beauty on my doorstep. Looking forward to sharing my new dresses with you soon here. In the meantime, here are some shots of the new stock in store today xo





My favourite garment instore - a lavendar floral print vintage swimsuit











No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...