IRISH FASHAHOLIC

Fashion & Lifestyle Blog

16/04/2014

I Work Out


I was diagnosed with Scoliosis at the age of 9, meaning I needed treatment for a curvature of the spine before I hit puberty to avoid any future health or growth complications with my spine - a story for another day! I wore an uncomfortable fibreglass brace around my torso for four years 24/7 and was the lankiest, most awkward teen there was. I presumed that if I was blessed enough to get pregnant 'when I was big' I would be on bed rest and it would be the longest nine months of my life. With the support of a fantastic Obstetrician, I was encouraged to continue my usual gym visits to Educo Gym where I only spend 10 minutes, 3 times a week lifting weights. I moaned initially as I presumed pregnancy was surely my one time to have a 'get-out-of-jail card' to avoid working out but with only 11 weeks to go until baby arrives, I can't recommend maintaining your fitness and the health benefits that it brings highly enough.

Working out under close supervision at Educo and lifting much lighter weights than pre pregnancy, has enabled me to strengthen the muscles in my back (particularly around the curvatures) and legs to deal with the growing weight and shifting gait the baby causes as it grows. So far, I have avoided any back, sciatica or muscular problems and am able to function and work fulltime, business as usual. As well as yoga, which I will cover in a separate post, I fully attribute having such an enjoyable and fit pregnancy to the training I have received to keep me strong. The days I go to the gym are the days I have the most energy. I know working out during pregnancy isn't for everyone but I feel really grateful to be enjoying my first pregnancy without my Scoliosis getting in the way. I have no doubt that it's going to get increasingly hard to drag myself in there as I expand over the next 11 weeks but I also feel that it will be a huge factor in my mental wellbeing as well as physical wellbeing towards the end.

''Training throughout pregnancy has amazingly positive effects on the body.  Our tailored programmes are focused on keeping the body toned and lean and I have been thanked by many women for helping to make their labour shorter and more manageable. Recovery time after birth is faster and I have seen many of our past clients bounce back into shape in no time'' says Mark, one of my great trainers at Educo Gym

Thank you Educo for helping make my pregnancy so enjoyable and making me feel so well!  xo
.

1 comment:

  1. It's the best being able to go to Educo Gym still, makes a big difference to energy levels and every day life! They are great there :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...