IRISH FASHAHOLIC

Fashion & Lifestyle Blog

11/05/2015

Back to Basics



People are always surprised when I tell them we have a caravan with no electricity or plumbing in the countryside that is our favourite place to holiday. I guess it completely contradicts my glamorous life in fashion at glitzy events. Maybe that very contradiction is where the beauty lies. Or maybe it is already in my blood from my ancestors who grew up in the countryside. Eitherway, there is nothing I love more than when May rolls around and we head to the West Cork town of Allihies and put out our caravan on the beach for the Summer.
Ten years ago, my friends Jude and Viv reignited my love for this little picturesque town when they invited me down to their caravans on the field at the beach. I spent some of my most memorable Summers meeting really interesting people from all walks of life, chatting beneath the stars on the beach in the dark over wine and a blazing campfire. With only one shop, one Post Office, a cafe at the Coppermine Museum and three pubs, the village is a sleepy one during off season but comes alive during Summer with some of Irelands top trad and folk musicians passing through the pubs for epic sessions. It is the perfect place to bring your children as there is nothing but fresh air, cows and the beach so they can run free without modern day distractions or the need for Mommy & Daddy to spend lots of money on them. Allihies is the perfect base for cyclists, walkers or fishing enthusiasts as it is on the Ring of Beara and only a hop over to Kenmare with some of the most magnificent views you will find in Ireland. My favourite place to head with friends and family on a sunny day is to the Cascades for a swim in the beautiful waterfall and leave the busy city behind.

We bought a new little caravan that Fr Ted himself would be proud of. I am scouring Pinterest for ideas to pimp up our new little caravan so I look forward to blogging about it lots and showing you some pictures throughout the Summer. Last weekend I downloaded my favourite magazines to my iPad, embraced the lack of wifi or coverage, read lots, ate and drank lots and laughed alot. Roll on the Summer in the laid-back countryside. xo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...